Friday, December 02, 2011

New Dungeons and Dragons fun!


Finally, I get to go back to playing Dungeons and Dragons, just in time for school to be going on break.

As far as I understand, it's the same group I was with before, so that guarantees some interesting stories.

Unfortunately, I still have to make my character. Writing her up should be easy, but assigning her skills will be the more difficult part, since I have to roll my numbers in front of the DM.

I've decided not to gender bend this time, since last time I had a male character, at least for a while. That's a funny story actually. My character (when he was still a male half-elf), was helping another character in our group hunt down a young T-Rex to feed his wolf, when the T-Rex ate me. The rest of my group was so close to saving me, but I died one turn before they could kill the T-Rex.

I would have been fine with them leaving my character dead, and then writing a new character. They essentially told me that I didn't get a say in the matter though, and resurrected me.

Funny thing about resurrection in D&D, you get to roll  two dice, a percentile dice, and a D10 (a 10 sided dice).

Then you add them together, and depending on what percentile you get, that's the species you're resurrected as. It depends on which chart you're using, but it generally isn't the same species you were before.

Then you get to roll the dice again, to use the percentage to find your gender.


   
Essentially from something like this...
to this.
And that's how I ended up going from a male half-elf, to a female gnoll.











I didn't have it as bad as another character in our group though, he had a minion who got eaten by another dinosaur. The minion, Leonardo (name after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, not the artist), was a male human. He had the luck to be resurrected as a female centaur.
Yup. He wasn't too happy.
Poor guy (gal?) then had the luck to be caught when we were attacked by a hydra.
It also could breath fire.
The fact it could breath fire was a very important fact. Because it set him on fire. So, we had our Druid resurrect him again.

This time he had the luck to come back as a female Gnoll, just like me.

My friend let the minion go home after that, he felt Leonardo had been killed enough.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyway, back to the not gender bending this time. 

Since this is an all rouge group this time, I decided to go for a tiny unassuming female assassin/healer.

I've based her on a character on the character Kyler Stern from Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy. The big way they will be similar is that both of them are assassins with a good grasp of poisons.

They are both orphans, though he, if I recall correctly, always was an orphan, while she watched her parents and siblings die.

I suppose I should mention her name, I've decided on Aidan. Aidan is Irish in origin and means little fire.

Anyway, Kylar is trained as an assassin, and poses as a number of other profession (such as a healer). Aidan will have a healers background, thus knowing the properties of plants and having some surgical knowledge, and turn assassin after her family is killed.

Once I've got a full background written up on her, I will post it, possibly with a sketch of her I'm working on.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Something I'd like to point out to people who might be thinking of joining a D&D group who enjoy writing, this is a great way to bring your characters to life.

Aidan might be based partially on a character from another book, but my previous character, Kori, was based on a story I've been writing, I basically picked him up out of that story, and ploped him into D&D character format.

But now I must be off! Bye Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment