Thursday, September 08, 2011

Movies, Dungeons and Dragons and Introductions

Well, many of you won't know what's going on with this blog, at least not yet. I'll start with introduction, you (the readers) can call me Emily, or Em, anything really, just try to keep it respectful. I'll occasionally use chat speak, or emoticons, because I find that the tone I'm using (example: when I'm being sarcastic) won't always translate well in my typing, but I will try to avoid it.
Fig. 1
                                                                           
I work at a theater (which is awesome), so I decided to make use of the fact and have part of this be a movie review. If there aren't any new movies out that I want to see, I'll probably look at a movie that's on DVD to review.

Unfortunately I will not be doing a movie review this week, since I'm still getting used to handling a blog.

Dungeons and Dragons


I haven't been playing D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) for too long, if my memory serves me correctly my first session was in early February of 2011. In matter of fact, the campaign I'm currently in is getting near its end, but D&D is always an interesting creative trip.

For those who don't know, Dungeons and Dragons is a RPG (Role Playing Game). Basically, you create a character, and then get to roll dice to give them some characteristics. The numbers you roll are put into things like dexterity, strength, and intelligence (that's not all of them, but it gives a general idea). If you give a higher number to dexterity, but a lower number to strength, you would be more nimble, but not as strong. Then, depending on what your character is like, you get to give them skills. I play an acrobatic rogue, so I have a high dexterity, and my stealth and acrobatic skills are higher than most of my other skills.

The group you play with (oh yes, this is a group game) will have a leader who makes the story as you go along, and generally does not have a set character that they play (though that might be only in the games I've played). They are basically the master of the world you are playing in, and they can through some interesting challenges at you. Things like exploding crystal hedgehogs, though I think that's not as common.

I'll get a summary of the campaign I'm in up next week, I doubt anyone wants to keep reading about D&D today.
Fig. 2
This is a D20 (twenty sided dice), it is your friend, it can also destroy you.
Odds and Ends

If I have something else I feel like, I'll put some odds and ends into a post, from something interesting I saw, to special events, to questions I have for you all. It probably won't happen every post though.

With that, I bid you adieu, and hope to see you this time next week.

- Emily B

4 comments:

  1. This will be a good education for me - there was a significant D&D contingent in my high school, but I never played or understood the game particularly. Your blog may help me understand why those folks were so addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have fudged a bit on the dates unfortunately. I thought the group I'm in currently would be going until Christmas at least, but we're actually going to be done in one of two sessions (I took so long getting all the facts to recap our adventures too.
    But, all is not lost, I'll be starting with a new group less than a month after this some ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DND players unite! What edition do you play?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pathfinder, how about you?

    ReplyDelete